Monday, February 1, 2010

Very Sucky Day :(

Today was a very bad day for me.  It started out really well... I got to spend some time with my wife praying and chatting together on the way to Garden City.  I decided to give her a ride to work this morning, so we could spend some quality time together.  Normally she has to leave in the early afternoon on Sunday so she can make the 2 hour drive without falling asleep.  So that much was good.  Now on to the sucky parts.  The worst part of today came as I was driving back to Lamar.  A friend of mine at work sent me an early morning text telling me that one of my Facebook friends had died this morning.  She was a young teenager.  I knew her mom from a previous job, and had done lots of computer work for the entire family.  That really bummed me out... I said a lot of prayers for her and the whole family, and ask anyone reading this to please do the same.  I can't imagine how terrible the family must feel now...

After I made it to work, I had to do a manual backup on the Unix server.  I had neglected to change the tape on Sunday because I was busy working on the stupid sewer issue.  Now I'm wondering if I put the Monday tape in...  Frontier Telephone finally had some time to program the PBX for Las Animas today, so I went down with them so I could finish the VPN issue that has been kicking my butt.  I really didn't have time today, but I have been having a hard time scheduling a day/time that worked for both of us.  I was under the building running some cable, and I slid a brick out of my way.  Unfortunately, the brick slammed into a pillar with my finger in between!  It actually swelled up a good 1-1/2 to 2 times normal size.  It's still swollen as I type this over 9 hours later...  I had a conference call with CareFusion (formerly Pyxis) that drug on forever killing my productivity.  After the call I continued working on the VPN issue, and after several hours (not counting the multiple hours from earlier days) I found out that CenturyLink (formerly CenturyTel) forgot to provision our static IP address.  So the firewall appliance had a different IP address than my remote VPN appliance. I had been spinning my wheels for nothing!  Needless to say, I finally got everything working smoothly with the VPN.  Unfortunately, that was around 4:50pm

After all that, I went out to my parents' house and watched the last 1/2 of the movie 1408.  Jeanine had seen it in the theater when it came out.

I went home and talked with Jeanine a little, then said good night to the girl who goes to bed with the chickens, and started cleaning the nasty basement.  That little project is going to take a while.

I'm now doing laundry and getting ready to say Night Prayers from the liturgy of the hours.

Good night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment