Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Year Ago...Wow

So, a year ago yesterday...wait, wait...let's start a year ago two days ago. It was a Friday and I was babysitting for a coworker of Jason and also had Dominic who was just starting to run around. I was having some braxton hicks contractions, they were kind of intense, but I knew I hadn't been able to drink enough and certainly not resting. After 5PM, when the baby's mom came to pick her up, I tried to rest and put my feet up and get the contractions to die down some. I honestly don't remember much of the evening, I know Jason handled all Dominic stuff and I tried to drink a lot of water.

I was able to sleep through the contractions, but every time I woke up strong contractions would hit. I woke up in the morning still contracting and took a shower. I was still having contractions. I decided to call Labor and Delivery and they suggested I come in to find out if the contractions were real. I was 32 weeks and 3 days pregnant.

They had me do a urine sample of course, and strapped me down. I was in fact having some contractions. Some really strong contractions actually. Once my lab results came back they noticed that I was dropping protein as well as ketones. I had just found out at my doctor's visit on Thursday that I was dropping sugar like crazy and that despite passing the 3 hour glucose test I did, in fact, have gestational diabetes. Boo. So, dropping the ketones made sense, I had dropped to almost no sugar intake in the past two days. My contractions were consistently strong, so they decided to try some medicine (terbutaline) to stop the contractions. They also checked to see if I was dilating, but thankfully I was not. Well, not past a 1.

Several hours in and more than one dose of the terbutaline and contractions continued to be strong. My doctor decided to try Magnesium Sulfate, after several attempts to start an IV, they finally got one started and started the medication. The doctor was feeling a little to concerned at not being able to stop contractions and around 7PM decided that they would ship me out.

One year ago, today, I arrived at Memorial Hospital via helicopter. By the way, not a fun and exciting trip. Jason and Dominic beat me to the hospital, because he left shortly after I told him they called for the helicopter. The magnesium sulfate continued, and I had received my first steroid injection for the baby's lungs. I finally got some sleeping medicine and was able to get a few hours sleep. Jason was not quite so blessed, as sleeping with a baby that crawls in his sleep makes it tough to get any sleep when the bed is a couch in a hospital room.

Thankfully, they were able to keep my contractions under control. But, I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia as well as requiring insulin to control my sugar. I was admitted to the Women's Pavilion for the next 3 1/2 weeks. At 37 weeks I could safely deliver the baby in Lamar, so I had to wait until then. It was so hard to be away from Jason and Dominic. Jason was able to take time off thankfully, and he and Dominic went back and forth between Colorado Springs and home.

Even though it was extremely hard to be away from home, I am so thankful that I was there for that time. Sounds weird right? But, it is a good thing because it means that Christopher baked for a few more weeks. Ah, what a time though. I became adept at giving myself insulin injections, but I am praying that I don't have to go through that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment